ONE PLUS 8 PRO REVIEW

                    ONE PLUS 8 PRO REVIEW

                                    








Hey what's up guys I'm saksham mehta here

we're back and yeah you got me I've been

using the oneplus 8 pro daily for about

two weeks now and I gotta say they did

it they finally did it they just went

ahead and made a flagship like a

bonafide

complete feeling flagship phone finally

now there are still a few snags and I

will nitpick about those because that's

what you do in a phone that starts now

at nine hundred bucks but still

nevertheless really happy to see them

finally commit to something like this

and it's been a long time coming so

today as you may have seen one plus

launched their newest highest end phone

it's the oneplus 8 pro taking yet

another step up in the ladder of their

phones getting slightly more expensive

every year but alongside it they also

dropped the one plus eight which is sort

of more like a premium mid-range phone

that starts at $6.99 . Then we're

talking about this guy the eight pro the

flagship so the bleeding edge high-end

specs shouldn't be a surprise when we

see a new one plus phone I mean beside

the fact that they slowly tease out all

the specs the weeks leading up to the

phone's launch it's kind of what they

are known for you know placing what

feels like the highest and best

available specs for the highest and

performance all-in-one phone and we

still have a very familiar oneplus

design and experience here to they still

have their logo on the back and still

things like the alert slider that I'm

surprised more phones haven't copied yet

still oxygen OS one of my favorite clean

Android skins with all of its features

oh wait stop plus what if the nitpicks

always been with oneplus phones one is

that their cameras are always just not

quite measuring up to the flagships and

to that they always tend to leave out

these sort of fringe features that don't

feel essential but still feel like you

should have them if you're gonna claim

that you're a flagship things like

wireless charging and ip68 certification

well guess what they finally went added

this year an improved camera wireless

charging and an official ip68 water and

dust resistance rating finally but you

know what let me start from the top with

a new design for the 1 plus 8 Pro you

can see it here I really like a lot of

it the new matte finish and this blue

color are pretty sick I don't have a lot

of matte blue phones but this one is

nice it's punchy and clean so it's

easily my favorite blue phone and this

finish is nice it doesn't really show

too many fingerprints of course you can

also grab this ultra matte teardown skin

from our channel sponsor D brand which

also feels great and you can see the

wireless charging coil in the back plus

it's also got a few Easter eggs hidden

in the design which are pretty dope but

anyway yeah the shape of the phone is

boxy which I've always really liked plus

there's this new little design accent

Ridge into the top of the phone so

generally I think it's one of the

absolute better-looking phones out there

but I still get to nitpick because like

I said a $900 phone that's what's gonna

happen

this camera bumped well it's not as ugly

as some of the others out there it still

is pretty big like it's annoyingly rocks

on a table big for sticking out of the

phone that much so I got to point that

out but again you can put a case on it

and get rid of that then you get a round

to the front and you're looking at the

new display which is an upgrade to

pretty much all the ways that count but

also technically technically a slight

downgrade to so this is a six point

seven eight inch 1440p 120 Hertz AMOLED

display and it's really really good one

plus and display mates say it's their

most color accurate display ever you

know the best a plus they've ever given

etc etc they're kind of starting to

sound a lot like the XO mark at this

point look I believe you the color is

great the calibration is great but what

I notice more often is number one it's

definitely a lot brighter than last year

which is sweet and then of course the

flagship feature for 2024 all these new

flagships which is the smooth 120 Hertz

refresh rate plus 240 Hertz touch

sampling rate and it is awesome I've

been looking forward to this couple

specifics on it one yes it does let you

run both high refresh rate and high

resolution at the same time and that's

exactly what I've been doing 1440p at

hundred twenty Hertz at the expense of

battery but you know live your life then

yes it is technically a variable refresh

rate so even when you have it set to 120

Hertz just like last year it will step

down to sixty Hertz occasionally when

you're just sitting around not doing

anything or if you're on a home screen

or if you're in some app that won't use

that like Waze or Google Maps or

snapchat or a game or something then yes

there is still an optical fingerprint

reader underneath that screen it doesn't

appear to be any bigger or faster but

still fairly reliable for me and yes the

edges are still curved over both sides

and this is my least favorite feature of

this display I still get accidental

touches like really I I realized the

idea is it looks cool and it's edgeless

and futuristic but I think it's time to

slow that down and I think Samsung's

perfected that balance this year between

curving the glass a little bit and still

having a flat working surface with no

accidental touches so just saying and

also by now from all these Beauty angles

of the screen certainly you've noticed

that hole-punch camera in the top left

corner for the selfie shooter for the

1+8 pro hot take the pop-up camera was

the pop up camera was better than the

hole punch and this is a downgrade like

I get that the pop up camera was a

moving part I was the first to point

that out a moving part and a phone is

always a part to pay attention to but we

haven't had any durability problems with

them for the past two years we've seen

them in phones and of course having that

part hidden inside allows you a fully

uninterrupted screen with no hole punch

and when it closes down into the phone

and you're not using it it's blocked by

the rest of the phone so that's an added

security benefit so seems like the pop

up camera was the way to go so why do

they remove the pop up camera and change

back to a hole punch I don't know maybe

to look a little bit more like the other

flagships maybe to save a little bit of

money maybe maybe to guarantee the ip68

water certification maybe just a little

bit of all these things also side note I

would like to see some of these phones

offering 120 Hertz screens also offer a

90 Hertz mode in between 60 and 120 so

we really know we can step down to 1080p

to save battery life I think it would be

nice to be able to step down

90 Hertz to save battery life - just a

an idea some of the gaming phones have

done this already but I want to see more

flagships doing it - so there's a free

idea so all of the 1+8 internal specs

are high-end top-end you know snapdragon

865 eight or twelve gigs of fast lpddr4

am it's that super fast ufs 3.0 storage

and the battery also gets an upgrade

because on top of all that it's a 5g

capable phone with 120 Hertz big display

so you get a four thousand five hundred

ten milliamp hour battery it's not the

biggest battery in the world but for me

it did just fine like I said I've been

using the phone with my high brightness

high GPS use at 1440p 120 Hertz and I've

been getting to the end of the day

pretty comfortably I could kill this

phone in a day and I've noticed that but

if I didn't want to I would step down to

1080p and I would say have a lot of

pixel pushing and a lot of battery and

that's a nice backup to have generally

for me I'm talking about like a six hour

screen on time for this phone six and a

half hours if you want to reference back

to other videos that's really good but

also something to note is for me the

charging habits of your phone can change

what you think of the battery and

oneplus phones are known for having fast

charging this one's no exception you

still have their high speed warp charge

30t comes in the box and that can get

you from 0 to half battery in like 25

minutes but what's new to this phone is

wireless charging finally oneplus is

putting the little charging coil behind

the glass back and enabling wireless

charging and on top of all that even

better it's fast wireless charging so 30

watt wireless charging is what they're

claiming and sharing with everyone which

is really nice that's fast that's gonna

top up from 0 to half battery in half an

hour

but there's a catch you only get fast 30

watt wireless charging with this phone

with this exact brand new $70 oneplus

wireless charging stand you need this

accessory to get 30 watts wireless

charging on the spot and that's because

it is not 30 watts of purely qi wireless

charging so oneplus has worked on this

special high-end why

charging tech and to be fair it works

exactly as advertised the stand is nice

it has some little quiet fans in there

and it does some special voltage and

thermal management to get the peak 30

watts wireless charging out of it but if

you put another Qi enabled phone on that

wireless charger it charges slower and

if you put the 1+8 pro on any other qi

wireless charger it charges slower

because that tech was proprietary so the

oneplus 8 pro still supports regular qi

wireless charging but only universally

at five watts which is pretty slow it's

not it's I mean it works but it's like

it's pretty slow so for me I'm not gonna

replace that you can't see it but I'm

not gonna replace the wireless charger

at my desk with the oneplus one because

I have other Qi accessories like my ear

pods Pro or my iPhone or literally any

other Qi phone that I want to charge

faster wirelessly so I'm just gonna

stick to Wired warp charging in the car

and pretty much everywhere I need it but

at home I have a pixel stand at my desk

and I can just leave it there to slowly

top-up over night and wake up with a

hundred percent so I'm glad to have

wireless charging but there is that

little snag so then there are the

cameras quad cameras on the back of this

phone and here are the numbers which

maybe mean less than ever these days but

it's a new forty eight megapixel main

camera with oh is then there's a forty

eight megapixel ultra wide with macro

mode which fun fact is the same sensor

as the primary camera from the oneplus 7

pro then there's a 3x telephoto camera

and believe it or not the fourth one is

a five megapixel color filter camera so

that's your array and I'll just go ahead

and say it the oneplus 8 pro is a

flagship quality camera right in line

with galaxy s 20 and Huawei P 40 and

just short of the pixel and the iPhone

there I said it it's spitting out sharp

12 megapixel images with nice dynamic

range and colors a bit overexposed

sometimes that's where it misses but

generally these are nice photos also

sorry in advance for slightly less

outdoor photos the whole

shelter-in-place Quarantine thing

clearly means I also have less people

subjects but yeah you can tell this is

an confid

nice camera no autofocus issues at all

especially when you give it some light

and even sometimes when you don't it's

nice I like it you are still gonna get

more fringing with close-up subjects I

take a lot of close-ups subject photos

and that's the downside of a big one

over 1.4 inch sensor but again that just

seems like par for the course for

flagship cameras right now

big sensor usually sharp photos but get

some fringing when your photos are

close-up subjects the night mode is

pretty good which is nice

max zoom is 30 X from that telephoto

camera I don't think it's very usable at

30 X it's barely passable galaxy s 20

Ultra is still gonna be the zoom champ

for that sort of range but tight 10x is

fine and 3x is definitely usable and I

have pretty much no use for the head

color filter camera the selfie camera

you guys have asked for it I usually

don't get too into the selfie camera in

smartphones but I'll do it I'll start

taking selfies now it's part of the job

and I gotta say this one still seems to

struggle with proper exposure and maybe

that's gonna happen more for people with

darker skin like myself but other than

that it's still looking pretty good with

detail and video from this camera is

also good especially with color and

stabilization at 4k and you can see no

8k video here but you know you're not

touching the iPhone when it comes to the

absolute best video quality in a phone

right now but this is still good

flagship quality color me impressed

I think god I think some people took me

saying that the camera was the worst

part of the phone last year as like some

sort of horrific flaw in it when really

it was like the rest of the phone was so

incredibly good that feat ok camera was

the downside but again now we're looking

at a flagship quality camera and they've

also been notoriously pretty good with

updating them over time and getting

better with camera quality that's been

nice plus they're probably a G cam mod

in the next couple weeks hopefully if

you want those sweet pixel contrast II

photos so yeah thumbs up on the camera

and then one plus phones have long been

some of my favorites specifically

because of the software and optimized

experience this is oxygen OS on top of

Android 10 and that's no exception here

for this phone there's tons of little

tweaks and optimizations and

provements and little tightened up

animations all over the place but it

never feels overloaded like some other

overlays actually removed the oxygen OS

shelf to the left of the home screen and

it's just Google's Discoverer page now

like a pixel and there's really high

quality haptics in this phone again I

love that and then in software there's

just a couple new software features here

and there that are nicely executed

there's a new dark mode 2.0 theme some

new dynamic wallpapers tucked in there

and just a lot of aesthetic tweaks

generally but they do a good job of not

feeling overly cartoony and then there's

a new motion graphic smoothing toggle

that works with certain apps you can see

the whole compatibility list here from

my phone and it worked pretty well when

I tried it for like two minutes but I

feel like I'm against motion smoothing

like on principle at my core so I turned

that off pretty quick but you might

remember that what's on my phone video

with the galaxy s 20 where I go through

all the things that I do that the little

subtle software tweaks to really make it

my daily driver and make it behave the

way I want that list of things is so

much shorter on a phone like the oneplus

8 pro or a pixel and I yeah this this is

gonna be my new daily driver so long

story short they finally made a flagship

they finally did it they're charging

flagship money and they're offering

pretty much everything a flagship would

in a bonafide

complete kind of predictable feeling way

but still it's what we're looking

forward to matter of fact let me put my

predictions down for the one plus eight

T pro that'll probably come out in like

six to eight months you're probably

looking at snapdragon 865 plus maybe a

little extra RAM probably faster

charging faster qi wireless charging I

also think maybe they could use a little

bit of a darker coating on the selfie

camera up in the corner and maybe a

special McLaren Edition phone and that's

it but in the meantime this becomes one

of the easiest phones to recommend

period even though it's the most

expensive one plus phone ever which is a

nice headline to write it still

undercuts a lot of the other flagships

that it's now at feature parity with and

I think this is definitely the one you

should pick of those either way that's

been it thanks for reading catch you

guys in the next one peace.

Comments

Popular Posts